Monday, February 4, 2008

Pump Up the JAMS




Sometimes when I discover new trends that are coming into existence I really wonder if people in the fashion business are getting bored. There is only so far you can really go, especially with menswear, that it makes it understandable when a trend like pajamas comes along. The interesting thing is, although this trend sounds ridiculous, I actually really like it.
The PJ look popped up first in Prada’s spring summer 2008 show (top) in a really literal sense with matching patterned shirts and pants. Now as a whole this looks exactly like pajamas, but what Prada was really trying to get across was more a sense of fantasy or going into a dream world; and of course you dream in pajamas.
The trend next showed up in the Lavin show in Paris (middle), and there it was much more subdued and more about Parisian laid back cool and thinking about sort of a light way to dress. Once PJs hit America at Duckie Brown (bottom) the trend finalized itself into its most wearable style. Ultimately the PJ trend is about a really relaxed way to dress, loose open shirt and loose pants. It is about summer heat and effortless clothes; and also about focusing a pattern or bright color into pants instead of a shirt.
I’m actually surprised this movement hasn’t caught on sooner with the amount of American men who idolize Hugh Hefner. And really, who doesn’t want to capture the sophisticated unpretentious style of a guy who walks around all day in a bathrobe, but makes it look desirable.
So I support this trend. I think it looks mad cool and comfortable and I will definitely be looking for some PJs to rock once the temperature gets above cold and rainy. I just hope it doesn’t increase my chances of falling asleep in class.

No comments: