Monday, June 30, 2008

In Case You Dont Want to Join the BLF


So I have returned, it’s been about 3 months since my last post. I had finals and moving plus general laziness, but that’s in the past so hopefully there will be more consistent posts on SCALE. To kick things off right after my hiatus I will be doing sort of a treatise on something the majority of men struggle with on a daily basis, shaving. I don’t think I have ever met a guy that truly enjoys dragging a razor of questionable sharpness across the old moneymaker each morn. So, I thought I would impart some of my knowledge I have learned over my near decade of shaving to the world via this blog.
The place to start is at what kind of razor you will use, manual or electric. Now most people who chose to use an electric razor use one because of their ease and for the ability to shave dry. I used an electric razor for a while and honestly the ease of it was not worth it. You get no where near as close a shave as you get with a manual razor and electric razors have a tendency to miss large swaths of hair on your face resulting in patchiness akin to a 14 year old in the throws of puberty. Also when I was using the electric my hair would grow back on a really funky grain that caused a lot of irritation. A good point is that no matter what razor you choose, you should be consistent in order to get a close shave and keep your face in proper homeostasis.
Almost as important as what kind of razor you use is in what direction you move that razor. The two options are with and against the grain. Against the grain is the direction that feels more like sandpaper. While shaving against the grain is the only sure way to get the baby ass style, at least for me, it caused major skin quality issues. If you’re not careful it is really easy to nick, scrap, scratch, and burn your face. Also, a day or so after shaving, you're skin can become irritated and you hair can get ingrown. Bottom line is that even though it is a great shave, it’s not worth the pain. If you have been shaving against the grain shaving with the grain takes some time getting used to. Although there is a drop in softness your skin will improve and since most ladies have a social framework and look before they touch, shaving with the grain probably won’t cause you to lose any female admirers. Stay tuned for future post on the topic
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice job Will - bout time you posted something new!!!!

I still am unable to grow a full beard - I'm a 21 year old in the "throws of puberty".

My electric never gets my face completely clean - it sucks, I went back to manual too.

peace,
lincoln